10 April 2008

EMT Insanity (and babies too!)

So, they weren't lying when they said it would be a tough 10 weeks. We're barely into week number two and I'm already stressed out. That may have something to do with the fact that my work has been brutal of late (pushed out deadlines making me compromise my time and resources) but it may not.

I was 25 minutes late to class on Tuesday. ARGH!! I felt like a complete arse and you can be sure it won't happen again. And they handed out cool logo to-go mugs at the beginning of class that I missed out on. I will of course be asking about getting one tonight but it will be very sheepishly.

Tonight and Saturday we are covering the basics of patient assessment, serious foundational work. I am caught up on my reading and ready for action (I think). So far the classes have been good: fast paced, sometimes humorous, mix of lecture and skills. Last Saturday was mostly skills on patient lifting. Whoo boy! I was tired after that one! Thank goodness we own his-n-hers heating pads! One instructor said that this job would be more of a workout than any session at the gym and she was right. Trying to help carry a 6'2", 220 lb. guy down a flight of stairs using a stair chair is what did me in. I have absolutely no upper body strength so I can add that to the list of items to work on (along with cardio, heart, core, etc.)

I will have to be careful to maintain a good balance during all of this. This was my second week of part-time work and I can feel the things that are being left undone start to pile up - both on my desk and in my brain. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel in about two weeks which will be just in time for my EMT mid-term. Phew!

In other news - last Sunday I got to hang out with some of my "internet pet" friends down in San Jose. It was a lovely little afternoon gathering. Then it was back to the city for dinner with Gina & Aaron. Wonderful beef bourguignon with rice pudding for dessert. They make such lovely meals and it's always nice to sit and have a great after dinner conversation with them.

Also, my nephew Luc got his bag I made for him and loves it. But I don't think he loves it as much as the stretchy frog that was in there too! :) But the better news is that Ed & Nora will be having baby #2! She is knocked up and they're having another boy at the beginning of September. On the baby front, my mom saw my cousin Jessie and she's about to pop with her second boy, Logan. And my other cousin Angie is newly pregnant with her second as well. Babies abounding! Mom sent me wonderful pictures of my niece Lily. She's got such a great smile on her. I'll get them scanned in and posted soon!

Off to class for work on scene safety and patient assessment. Wish me luck!

p.s. - no word yet on nursing programs from SFSU or CCSF, but April is a long month!

No comments: