09 May 2008

Sigh of Relief; Dance of Joy

The letter finally came today! I have been accepted into the Nursing Program at Cal State East Bay. I will begin the Fall of 08 and will be working towards a BSN! Woohoo!!

Over the past two weeks I've struck up quite the e-mail friendship with another woman who was waiting to hear about her acceptance. She got her letter on Wednesday. We have been talking each other down from the ledge on a daily basis, working to regain some sort of Zen about this whole process each time. It was nice to know I wasn't alone in my insanity and talking with someone else about remaining calm helped me to be calm(er) as well. And I'm looking forward to meeting her and becoming her classmate!

I am 1) relieved, 2) ecstatic, 3) scared to death, 4) tired, 5) numb, 6) weightless and 7) just about every other emotion I can imagine and many others I have no name for. It's hard to believe that almost 3 years ago to the month I started on this path. I took an on-line course in Sociology through Napa Valley Community College because I read that it was one of the pre-requisites for nursing and I had somehow managed to make it through my entire undergraduate career without taking a Sociology course. I was in a mad rush to start the process and the class through NVCC was the only one I could find that was open on such short notice.

As I finished up that class over the summer, I really began researching the other steps I would need to take for this little seed of an idea to become a reality: Nutrition, Chemistry, Speech, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology. Each semester a different class and an opportunity to meet some amazing people who were also pursing a dream. I'm so grateful to Cathy, Diane, Alison, Sheila & Heather. They are some of the strongest, craziest, smartest, sanest women I have ever met and I am proud to have shared a part of my life with them.

I can't wait to see what this next chapter brings!

And now I can truly begin to plan for the future - like figuring out how much this is all going to cost! :)

4 comments:

LadyPatsFan said...

Yeah! Congratulations on getting into a nursing program. It's so wonderful that you are able to follow your dream.

Anonymous said...

Wow Myla! Things have really changed for you since the last i heard from you. NURSING! So cool, chica. Congratulations. Much love.

Kate Weaver

crazyframes said...

Thanks so much both of you!

thatbob said...

Congratulations! (My dad's a nurse, and he can work anywhere in the country for top dollar because of the shortage, as you will soon learn.)