20 October 2008

Validation

The other day I was at Panera enjoying some chicken noodle soup and working on my preschool paper for nursing. I was stopped by two women who noticed that I was wearing my nursing sweatshirt.

They proceeded to congratulate me on getting into school and for choosing nursing as my profession. It was a mother (probably in her 70s) and a daughter (probably in her 50s) and they had nothing but praise for nurses. The daughter is trying to convince her two children to go into nursing as well

They wanted to know where I went to school, what specialty area I was interested in, what I thought about the process of getting into school. It was so validating to have two complete strangers sing your praises and tell you that you were doing something noble. Talk about an ego boost! I thanked them both sincerely and wished them luck on convincing the next generation to move into this field as well.

1 comment:

Meera said...

Isn't that funny how the support of strangers can totally boost a day? Hope you are enjoying school so far!